Tuesday, February 12, 2008

Steve Gerber

After taking a very rare sick day yesterday, I log on today and learn that Steve Gerber, a well known and well respected writer for Marvel, DC, Malibu and lots of animated shows, passed away a few days ago.

Mr. Gerber is probably best known as the creator of Howard The Duck for Marvel, he's synonomous with that character. I personally always loved his work on Man Thing, that's probably the stuff he did that clicked with my young mind the most.

I never met, spoke to, or emailed Mr. Gerber although I had heard through the grapevine that he was awaiting a lung transplant for pulmonary fibrosis. In spite of the fact that I had no personal connection to the man, I'm honestly saddened by his loss. As seems to happen in this field, seeing a person's name in the credit boxes over the years becomes almost a steady backdrop to my life. And now, another name goes missing.

My best to Mr. Gerber's friends and family.

2 comments:

Brad Brown said...

Hey Keith,

I don't recall his Man-Thing issues, but I was a fan of his runs on Howard the Duck and the Defenders. I hadn't realized how much SG actually contributed to the world of animation either (http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Steve_gerber).

-BB

ANMPH said...

I just heard this too. Very sad news. Just crazy to keep reading about these creators that have passed away, I'll miss their work.