Wednesday, January 31, 2007

Things I like...

Here's a few recommendations of things that I'm enjoying lately...

ROME.

Every Sunday night on HBO. Great show, well acted, lots of political manuevering, and a feeling that anything can happen at any time. I loved the first season and the second season is so far off to a great start.

TONY LOCO.

An independent comic published by Illusive Arts, written by Derek McCaw and drawn by Mark Teague. Moody, atmospheric, mysterious...I don't know where it's going but it seems to be a strange mix of Batman and Don Quixote. Ask your comic shop to special order the first two issues, it's worth your time.

A RIVER RUNS THROUGH IT

The book, not the movie--although I enjoy the movie too. Some of the most unpretentious, straightforward, yet beautifully powerful writing I've ever enjoyed. I recently reread it for about the tenth time and it still makes me mist up as I read the last page. I am haunted by waters, indeed.

SUICIDE SQUAD

I've been rereading some of John Ostrander's first run on the title in preparation for the new series. Tight storytelling, suspenseful, and great characterization. They hold up well after all these years.

THE WIGGLES

My son loves them and I have to admit, they've grown on me. Our Wiggles collection has grown to six movies and are now in a heavy rotation, actually beating out Bob The Builder, the reigning champion in this house for months. I often find myself singing "Here comes Wagsy, here comes Wagsy..." without realizing I was doing it.

No comments: